Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Both eyes blind

I´ve arrived in Guatemala! Our driver was at the airport as expected and took us on a wild ride to Antigua. Thank goodness my friend Kim distracted me with a story so that I didn´t dwell on the fact that I thought we might die before we got there. We reached our casa and we were both staying at the same place. It was a small comfort. We all know I don´t like to camp but hey what´s an adventure without a few bugs? It is after all in Central America and the living conditions are very poor. I know that I take so much for granted. Little things like TP that can actually go into the toilet and not in the trash. Eeww much? No spiders, no church bells going off at 6a.m. and definitely no rooster´s cocka doodle doin all night long.(I thought they only did that when the sun came up) I was so happy that I bought a small pillow at the airport because seriously I would´ve never used the pillow they provided. So I´m just going at this with my eyes shut and my shower shoes on.
With the gory details out of the way I will tell you that this is a blast! The family I am staying with is great. The mother is an excellent cook. All of the casa´s have large doors so that they can park their cars inside. There is a courtyard in the middle with all of the rooms surrounding it. The father is an artist and he paints all day. Fun stuff like naked women and the usual fruits. This really is going to be an experience I will never forget.

2 comments:

tarin said...

Sweetness! I love your blog and I love you.

the harrisons said...

i hope you are documenting this with some photographias. glad you are having such a good time!

Mayans

Mayans
Mayans